What are Fungus Flies?
The Fungus Fly, also known as the Sciarid Fly, can cause severe damage to many plants including House Plants and plants being propagated . These tiny flies will lay eggs in compost or soil, from which larvae will develop. The larvae often feed on young plants and seedlings at propagation. They are also a common pest often found in Houseplants. Damp conditions and organic plant matter will provide an ideal breeding ground for the larvae, which will feed on plant roots causing damping off and seedling collapse. The larvae, at large numbers, can also spread soil-borne diseases such as Pythium. Once the larvae develop into adults they become nuisance pests, forming small clouds of flies when disturbed.
What are Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes and how can they help?
Fungus Fly Killer contains Steinernema feltiae nematodes for the effective biological control of Fungus / Sciarid Fly. The nematodes enter the larvae via a natural opening, like the mouth, and feed on the contents of the larvae. A natural bacterium is produced by the nematodes inside the larvae, which kills it. Infected larvae will be completely broken down by the nematodes. The nematodes also reproduce inside the larvae, releasing more nematodes into the surrounding area.
When should I apply my nematodes?
Apply your Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes when damage to plants is observed or when Fungus Fly activity has been observed. Fungus Fly can occur all year round and can be treated at any time it occurs.
How many nematodes do I need?
The Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes are supplied as either:
- 1 x 5 million nematodes to treat up to 10 square metres or up to 25 Houseplants
- 1 x 10 million nematodes to treat up to 20 square metres or up to 50 Houseplants
- 1 x 25 million nematodes to treat up to 50 square metres
- 2 x 25 million nematodes to treat up to 100 square metres
What conditions do the nematodes require?
Choose a humid or wet day to apply your Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes. Nematodes are UV-sensitive and will not survive long when exposed to bright, sunny conditions. Apply the nematodes early in the morning or early in the evening in order to utilise the optimum humidity levels.
Soil or compost temperatures should be above 10℃ for the nematodes to be active.
How do I apply my nematodes?
For small packs (5 and 10 million):
1. Open and empty contents of the 5 million sachet into a 0.5 litre (500ml) bucket, or container, of lukewarm water and mix thoroughly. For a 10 million unit mix the solution in a 1 litre bucket (1000ml) and mix.
2. Add nematode concentrate to a watering can and add water. This should be at least 0.5 litre of water for the 5 million pack concentrate, and add at least 1 litre of water for the 10 million pack concentrate.
3. Mix the concentrate solution and extra water for one minute to distribute the nematodes evenly in the solution. Apply immediately after mixed.
4. Pour and apply the solution into the Houseplant pots, seed trays, or containers, directly into the growing media / compost, using all the solution between the treated pots.
For larger packs (25 million plus):
1. Open and empty the contents of your 25 million sachet of nematodes into a bucket or container of 2.5 litres of water and mix thoroughly.
2. Next, fill your watering can or sprayer (hand held sprayers should suffice, with filters removed, or use our specific nematode applicators: Nema Super Sprayer, AquaNemix or our 8/15 Litre Pump Action Sprayers for optimum nematode application) with the mixed 2.5 litres of nematode concentrate and add another 5.5 litres of water so you are left with 8 litres of nematode solution.
3. Finally, spray the soil or compost and ensure plenty of the spray solution is applied and directed where possible directly onto the Fungus Fly larvae. If applying to pots, make sure nematode solution reaches root zone at the bottom of the pots.
Ensure the soil is moist for 2 weeks since application.
Repeat applications may be required after 4 weeks to prevent the build up of fresh Fungus Fly larvae.
Full instructions are provided on delivery.
Can I store my nematodes?
You can store unopened nematode packs in a fridge but it is best to ensure you apply your nematodes as soon as possible for the best results.
Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes are harmless to humans, and safe to apply to edible plants.
Combine the application of your nematodes with our yellow sticky traps for control over Fungus Fly
Black adults of Fungus / Sciarid Fly can reach high levels. It is best to use some of our yellow sticky traps in combination with your nematode treatment to prevent the build up a large infestation. See our Eco Sticky Traps, Yellow Sticky Traps, Extra Large Yellow Sticky Traps, or our Mini Sticky Traps (for smaller pots).
See also our Hypoaspis miles for complete control over Fungus Fly
Hypoaspis miles are small predatory mites that inhabit the soil or compost surface around the plant stem and feed on the eggs and larvae of Fungus / Sciarid Flies. Utilise these predators in combination with your Fungus Fly Killer Nematodes for the complete protection against Fungus Fly infestation. The Hypoaspis miles product listing can be found here.
top of page
bottom of page